Securing a Nation, Caring for a Community
Post Office Box 699
Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department
19595 Mi-Wu Street
Tuolumne, California 95379
Phone: (209) 928-5315
The Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department primary mission is to protect the lives and property of the Tuolumne Band of Me-Wuk Indian and its people. The Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department will strive to deliver the best service from adverse effects of fire, medical emergencies, and dangerous conditions created by either man or nature.
Current Fire Department Personnel:
The Fire Department is a vital part of the county response system. The Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department consists of highly trained personnel, dedicated to assist in fires, emergencies and medical response.
- Fire Captain/EMT Bill Hutchins
- Captain Hutchins started with Sonora City Fire Department as a volunteer at age 18 and spent 19 years with the department. He also volunteered with Tuolumne County Fire Department Station 59 and has spent the last 13 years volunteering with Tuolumne Protection District. Captain Hutchins was hired by Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department in 2007 as a Captain.
- Fire Captain Thomas Staton
- Thomas began his fire journey at the age of 14. Throughout high school he was a Fire Tech and a volunteer for Murphy’s Fire Protection District and participated in many trainings where he discovered his love for the Fire Service. In 2002 he attended Columbia College Fire Academy and Graduated 2nd in class and made the Dean’s list. Shortly after graduating the academy he was hired by Cal Fire as a seasonal firefighter where worked for four years before leaving to go work for Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department. He started as a firefighter in 2007 and was quickly promoted to Engineer. He worked very hard and was subsequently promoted to captain last year.
- Fire Apparatus Engineer Shane Bishop
- Shane became an Explorer with Tuolumne County Fire Department at 14 years old and spent four years training and building the foundation to his Fire Service Career. At 18 years old he attended and graduated from Tuolumne County Joint Basic Fire Academy. After that he was hired on as a firefighter with Twain Harte Fire Department and then spent a season with USFS. For the last 6 years has been a volunteer/relief at Tuolumne Fire District. 7 Years ago, Shane was hired by Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department as a firefighter and then promoted to Engineer.
- Fire Apparatus Engineer/EMT Drew Collier
- At the age of 14 Drew started his career in the Fire Service by joining the Tuolumne County Fire Department Explorers program. After four years as an Explorer he was ready to take the next step and applied for a seasonal firefighter position with Cal Fire. He worked one season before starting an Intern program with Sonora City Fire Department which led to him getting hired full time with Groveland Fire District. After 4 years with Groveland, Drew left the Groveland area and became a Relief Engineer for Sonora City Fire Department, Tuolumne Protection District and Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department. He also is an Adjunct Instructor for Joint Basic Fire Academy.
- Firefighter/EMT Colleen Brennan
- Graduated the Tuolumne County Joint Basic Fire Academy in 2006 and began volunteering with Tuolumne County Fire Department. In 2007 was hire as a firefighter for the Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department. Shortly after obtain her EMT and became a CPR Instructor with Red Cross. She provides CPR, AED and first aid class for the Tribe.
- Firefighter Chris Laios
- Chris started as an Explorer at the age of 17 with Tuolumne County Fire Department. Shortly after graduating High School he attended and graduated the Tuolumne County Joint Basic Fire Academy. He worked full time with Mi Wuk Sugar Pine Fire Protection District for a year. He was then hired by USFS and worked on Engine-12 and Engine-33. Five years ago was hired by Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department as a firefighter
- Firefighter Fred Wolsak
- Fred started living the dream in 2006 when he was hired with the USFS and spent four years on Engine-12. During that time he also attended the Joint Basic Fire Academy. He was a Tuolumne County Resident Firefighter for a year and then hired by Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department as a firefighter. He continues to take classes for his State Fire Marshal Officer Certification.
- Trainee Firefighter Shauta Murray
- Shauta is a member of The Tuolumne Band of Me-Wuk Indians. She received her Outdoor Emergency Care in 2009 which opened her eyes to the medical field. In 2011 she went on to complete her Wildland Basic 32 and worked with The Tuolumne Rancheria Fuels and Fire Crew. She got her First Responder certification and started volunteering with Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department and is now full time with the EDD program. She completed EMT training early 2012 and is about to graduate from Joint Basic Fire Academy. She is also an Intern with Mi-Wuk Sugar Pine Protection District. She is hoping to continue her career in the Fire Service and take as many classes as possible including attending Paramedic school and hopefully getting her Paramedic License.
- Trainee Firefighter Ty Day Jr.
- Ty is a Community Council member with The Tuolumne Band of Me-Wuk Indians. He is starting his second year with Tuolumne Rancheria Fuels and Fire Crew. He completed his First Responder early 2012 and is about to graduate from the Joint Basic Fire Academy. He is volunteering with Tuolumne Rancheria Fire Department as well.
Fire Department Accomplishments:
- **Remodeled building for station living quarters and apparatus bay
- **Providing 24 hour coverage
- ** Relocated to Porto Fino, behind the Casino
- ** Signing an AutoAid agreement with Tuolumne County in 2010
- ** Signing MOU with US Forest Service for Wildland Suppression
- **Signed AutoAid with Tuolumne Protection District
- **Purchased a used 1997 75’ Quint Pumper/Aerial Apparatus
Goals and Objectives of the Department
- Improve professional Recognition among peers
- Improve overall level of apparatus
- Build stronger relations and lines of communication with Tribe and surrounding community
Trainee Murray at a Training burn
Training Burn in Sonora. Captain Hutchins preparing for interior attack.
Ty Day Jr. preparing to search a building for victims. Training exercise.
Training exercise. Fred Wolsak rescuing down firefighter.
All crew members at Frogtown Propane Fire Training 2007
Casoose Fire, Mendocino June 2008
Covelo Airport, Mendocino Lightning Complex July 2008